The County of Ogle is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Planning & Zoning Administrator. Qualifications and job description may be found at www.oglecounty.org. Submit application letter, resume and a minimum of three references no later than 4:00 PM July 11, 2019 to:
Ogle County Board Chairman
c/o Ogle County Clerk
105 S. 5th Street, Suite 104
Oregon, IL 61061
The County of Ogle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PLANNING & ZONING ADMINISTRATOR JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY: Under general direction, manages the Planning and Zoning Department, including work assignments, personnel selection and budget preparation. Monitors all Regional Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals and Supervisor of Assessments and Planning & Zoning Committee (APZ Committee) of the Ogle County Board cases and agendas to assure compliance; and performs related duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
- Manages task assignment and coordination of all activities of department personnel.
- Prepares and manages the department budget and processing of administrative requests.
- Responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Ogle County Amendatory Zoning Ordinance, Ogle County Land Subdivision Regulations, and Ogle County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
- Responsible for preparation and presentation of enforcement cases to the Ogle County Code Hearing Unit.
- Reviews all Regional Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals and APZ Committee cases.
- Presents cases to the Regional Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and APZ Committee to provide assistance and assure compliance with applicable ordinances and regulation.
- Responsible for preparation of staff reports regarding zoning cases.
- Responsible for the drafting of ordinances and resolutions for the Ogle County Board.
- Assists developers, the general public, other public agencies and other county departments in the proper application of ordinances and regulations.
- Responsible for the preparation, management and supervision of updates to the Ogle County Amendatory Comprehensive Plan, Ogle County Amendatory Zoning Ordinance, Ogle County Land Subdivision Regulations, and Ogle County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.
- Assists the County Engineer in the administration and enforcement of the Ogle County Comprehensive Stormwater Management Ordinance.
- Oversees countywide changes to the county's adopted general development (land use) plan and zoning maps.
- Appointed member of the GIS Staff Supervisory Committee (along with the County Engineer and Supervisor of Assessments), which provides oversight and supervision of the Ogle County Geographic Information System (GIS) staff, which consists of two persons.
- Responsible for the coordination of Ogle County's participation in the FEMA Community Rating System.
- County liaison to the U.S. Census Bureau (includes monthly and annual reporting of building statistics; annual reporting for boundary changes and annexations; and participation in the Local Update of Census Addresses program).
- Responsible for County address/house number assignment and management.
- Responsible for the creation, management and update of certain Geographic Information System (GIS) data sets.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of site planning, zoning interpretation, and regional, comprehensive and transportation planning.
- Knowledge of planning and land use law and theory, growth management law and theory, environmental law and theory, and current planning/zoning/land use trends.
- Knowledge of land/legal descriptions and basic knowledge of land surveying.
- Knowledge of e-mail, word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and database software; and computer networking, and operating systems.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems and related computer software applications.
- Mapping and drafting skills.
- Map, plan and plat reading and interpretation skills.
- Knowledge of intergovernmental operations.
- Skills in project and development application management.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in effectively supervising others, communicating effectively with developers, members of the general public, elected officials and other employees.
- Skill in conflict resolution management.
- Skill in budgetary and organizational management.
- Ability to work in team environment with multiple disciplines.
- Ability to organize and analyze information and formulate recommendations.
Required Minimum Qualifications/Transferrable Skills:
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in local, regional, or statewide land use planning and zoning administration.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience providing excellent customer service in a courteous and professional manner.
- Experience prioritizing and multi-tasking in a fast paced environment and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstration of the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills that translate into: exercising tact and good judgment, especially while working with the public; a collaborative, team-oriented approach to work; effective active listening skills; effective problem solving skills; ability to maintain composure in difficult, stressful, and sometimes highly visible situations.
- Experience handling a wide range of situations and circumstances effectively, positively, and professionally.
- Thorough knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures of local, regional and statewide planning and zoning administration.
- Qualified candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, and must also possess and maintain an acceptable driving record throughout the course of employment.
Preferred Special Qualifications/Transferrable Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in Urban, Regional, Rural or Environmental Planning or related field (law, geography, etc.).
- Experience in local, regional, or statewide land use planning and zoning administration within the state of Illinois.
- Experience in floodplain management.
- Experience using, creating and editing data in ESRI Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
- Experience in creating and editing maps using ESRI Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
- Experience making presentations to decision-making bodies.
The County of Ogle is an equal opportunity employer.