Ogle County Highway Department
and Safe Driving Tips
Approximately 5,900 pedestrians are killed by automobiles every
year... 84,000 suffer nonfatal injuries. Almost one-third of these
victims are children under the age of 15 yet they represent only about
15% of the U.S. population.
By following the few safety tips listed below, you can protect
yourself and your children.
- It is critical to teach children to look left-right-left before
- Cross only at designated crossings. Entering traffic mid-block
or from between parked cars is dangerous.
- Teach children to never dart out into traffic.
For your information.
- A growing number of communities are implementing measures to
make their environments more walkable, ranging from including
sidewalks on all newly constructed streets, to implementing
widespread traffic-calming measures.
- The physical environment does impact how much and how safely
residents can and will walk. In research comparing communities
with suburban sprawl (few sidewalks and inaccessible pedestrian
destinations like large malls surrounded by parking lots) to
traditional communities (with plentiful sidewalks and inviting
downtown commercial areas), it was found there were three times as
many pedestrian trips in the communities designed with pedestrians
Permission to reprint granted by the National Safety Council, a
membership organization dedicated to protecting life and promoting