PREA – PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 is a federal law created to eliminate sexual abuse in confinement settings. This legislation mandated the development of national standards intended to address the detection, prevention, reduction and prosecution of sexual abuse and sexual assaults in all correctional facilities. The Ogle County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and inmates.
The Ogle County Sheriff’s Office has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to sexual abuse and sexual harassment of inmates, either by staff members or other inmates. Inmates have the right to be free from sexual abuse, from sexual harassment and from retaliation for reporting such incidents. Sexual acts or conduct between inmates or between inmates and any staff member, even if consensual, are prohibited and are subject to administrative disciplinary sanctions as well as possible criminal action.
How to Report Institutional Sexual Abuse and/or Staff Sexual Misconduct
If you have information regarding an inmate who has been sexually abused or sexually assaulted while in the custody of the Ogle County Sheriff’s Office, please contact the Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling, Inc. Hotline at 815-562-8844 or 815-636-9811 or 800-564-8441. In case of an emergency, contact the supervisor on duty at the Ogle County Jail at 815-732-2135.
You do not have to give your name but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible. This includes:
- The name(s) and locations of persons involved
- The name(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
- Jail identification number
- A description of where the incident(s) occurred
- The date(s), time and place of the incident(s)
- Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident(s)
- Your contact phone number and address (optional)
Reporting Information for Inmates
Inmates incarcerated at the Ogle County Jail are encouraged and instructed to report incidents of sexual abuse or sexual harassment immediately. Inmates have the option of:
- Reporting the incident in writing
- Reporting the incident anonymously
- Reporting the incident verbally to any staff member
- Contacting the Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling, Inc. Hotline at 815-562-8844 or 815-636-9811 or 800-564-8441.
- Having a family member or friend report the incident on their behalf
- See below for PREA/report incident.
The Ogle County Sheriff’s Office shall investigate all reported incidents of sexual abuse and sexual harassment. The Sheriff’s Office will discipline and, when appropriate, refer for prosecution those individuals determined to be perpetrators of such conduct. In the event a person abuses the reporting system and/or makes false allegations or reports of sexual abuse and sexual harassment, those determined to be responsible will be investigated and subjected to internal discipline and/or referred for prosecution.
PREA – PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT Form: